Mürren is one of the most peaceful places we visited in Switzerland. There are so many great things to do in the area it is hard to pick. Here's a list of things we did on our trip and loved each one.
- Walk down to Gimmelwald - About mid-way through Mürren there is a path going down to Gimmelwald. It winds slowly down the mountain past a couple houses, a stream, a cow pasture, and finally into the village. The village is very relaxing and quiet. There is a neat playground near the cable car station if you have kids. They will love the long slide there.
- Follow 007 James Bond to Schilthorn - This peak is almost 9800 ft high and a great place to see Eiger and Jungfraujoch if the weather is good. The James Bond movie "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" was filmed here in 1968. There is a small museum there that shows a documentary of the film and several displays of production photos. You can sit in the revolving restaurant and get a 360 degree view of the area.
- See waterfalls inside a mountain - Trümmelbach waterfalls is a great place to go especially if it is raining. You'll be inside the mountain anyway! Take the cable car down from Gimmelwald, walk to the bus station, and take the bus. Very easy. Just ask anyone for help with which direction or which stop.
- Visit the Top of Europe - Jungfrauyoch is really a must see. Just the train ride there is an experience in itself. Once you get to the top the views are obviously incredible. There is also an ice palace to tour. Be sure to leave time to walk around the village of Wengen on the way back down. It is a beautiful little place to spend an hour.
- Allmendhubel - This is a small summit above Mürren and you can get there via a small funicular train. Great place to walk around and a good starting point for some longer hikes.
Obviously, there are plenty of things to do in Interlaken and you have to go through Interlaken to get to Mürren. I purposely left that out of this post because there is so much to enjoy and experience.
I would be remiss though if I did not mention Hang Gliding Interlaken. This was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. Ed was my pilot and really knows what he is doing. I will say the fool answered his mobile phone while we were up in the air. Scared me at the time, but really makes a fun story to tell now. Good on ya, mate! If you want to fly like a bird, please do contact them.
Until next time... Wyman