Appenzell is a wonderful first stop on a trip around Switzerland and was one of our favorite places in Switzerland. It is quite traditional compared to other parts of the country. There are many activities you can do in the Appenzell region. Here are our top five:
- Ride the bobsleds - We had a very memorable afternoon by taking the train out to Jackobsbad to the Kronberg park to ride the bobsleds. Great fun! The bobsled cars are on a track.
- Walk the barefoot trail - There is a great walking trail named Barfussweg from the bobsled area all the way back to Appenzell. If you want a short walk, hop back on the train in Gonten. It is very peaceful and quiet on the trail.
- Cable car up to Ebenalp - Absolutely beautiful views along with a great walk through a short cave, past a church built into the side of the mountain, and you come to a hotel/restaurant. Great place to take a rest and chat with other hikers. If you get lucky like we did, you may meet a table of Swiss Army dudes. Take the train to the village of Wasserauen to the base station of the cable car.
- Visit the Cathedral - The Vatican it is not, but St Mauritius is a charming cathedral on the inside and has a unique graveyard out back.
- Try some Appenzeller Beer - Tasty. Light. This was our favorite beer in Switzerland. They also have a non-alcoholic version, if memory serves.
Bonus tip if you have kids: There is a great little playground just on the opposite side of the river from the city center. Go past the cathedral and cross the bridge. It's very near the Appenzeller Bier factory and right along the water. An excellent walk just before or after dinner.
Photos of all of these and more are in the Photos section above. See highlights of our stop in Appenzell there.
Rick Steves has a great video podcast of the Appenzell region.
Tips or questions? Post them in the comments section below!